OER Support Program
This a competitive award program for individual faculty and faculty teams to create and adopt open and zero-cost textbooks. Faculty can apply for support for OER projects in the form of course reassigned time or credit hour-based stipends.
The following is a description of main features of the program, the types of projects supported by this funding, and instructions on how to apply.
- Competitive award program for individual faculty members and faculty teams.
- Faculty can apply for support in the form of course reassigned time or stipend to develop and/or adopt open textbooks.
- Up to five (5) Reassigned time projects can be awarded per semester.
- Stipend projects are awarded based on available budgeted funding as determined by the OER Steering Committee.
NOTE: Faculty often ask if they must apply for a grant project to work on OER. Some people want to work at their own pace and do not want the obligation. Of course, that is just fine! You’ll get the same support whether you have a grant award or not. Contact us to help you with your project!
Textbook adoption (Follett) deadlines:
October 15 for Spring semester
March 15 for Summer semester
April 15 for Fall semester
OER Applications are solicited in the Fall and Spring semesters for the following term.
Reassigned Time Application deadlines:
For Spring 2023: Original Writing Projects Only. Applications due October 25 2022. Deans notified November 1, 2022.
For Fall 2023: Original Writing Projects Only. Applications due: February 9, 2023 at 10:00 a.m. Deans notified February 11, 2023.
Stipend Application deadlines:
For Spring 2023: November 2, 2022. (Deans notified November 9, 2022)
For Summer 2023: March 15, 2023 (Deans notified April 30, 2023)
For Fall 2023: April 15, 2023 (Deans notified April 30, 2023)
Applications are reviewed by the OER Steering committee. Applicants may be invited to talk with the committee about their application.
- All applicants must attend a one hour briefing on Open Educational Resources prior to submitting an application. Briefing dates will be announced when the RFA is released.
- Applicants are encouraged to talk with a member of the OER Steering Committee about their application.
- Applicants should notify their Dean of their intent to apply for an OER Support Grant.
- Applications must include a timeline with milestone dates of how and when the work will be completed and adopted in COD classes.
- An impact statement must accompany each grant application. This statement describes how students will benefit and includes projected student savings, how many courses would use the materials, enrollment impact, how student success may be improved, etc.
- Applicants should discuss how the OER project outcome will be shared with and promoted to other faculty members.
- Successful applicants are expected to submit regular progress reports and provide evidence of the completed project. (A support person or team will be assigned to grant recipients and will meet regularly with them.)
- Completed projects will be published with an open license, when applicable, along with attribution to the faculty authors and the College of DuPage.
- An adoption report must completed. This report states when the funded project will be adopted in courses to facilitate tracking of student savings.
Reassigned Time Projects
For individuals and groups of two-three faculty members. Up to five (5) reassigned time projects are awarded in Fall and in Spring semesters. The two types of Reassigned time projects are: Remix/Reuse and Original Writing. These projects are typically completed in two semesters or in one full year, including a summer semester stipend. Review Reassigned Time project types and applications.
Individuals and groups are encouraged to apply for Stipend projects in Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters. Stipend projects types are: Fast Track and Two Semester. Fast Track projects are fully completed in one semester. Two semester projects are typically completed in two subsequent semesters. Review Stipend project types and applications.
Unless otherwise noted the material on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.