Denise Cote, PhD.
Professor / Reference Librarian
The Library SRC 3133
Hi. Thank you for visiting the open education website for the College of DuPage. I hope you’ll find it useful. The Open Education program has been a long time in the making! The heart of this program is equitable access to education and creative pedagogy.
I have been working on Open scholarship for several years. My work is currently focused on open textbooks at the College as supported and facilitated by the OER Steering Committee. More broadly, I am interested in promoting open pedagogical practices, wider adoption of open and DRM-free monographs and journals by the Library, and utilizing open data in teaching and research. Outside of COD, I work with state entities to promote OER in Illinois and am collaborating with other Open practitioners in the US and Europe on a global policy project through the Open World Map Policy Registry. Above all, my passion is helping the COD community understand and recognize the value of Open and encouraging scholarship in this emerging venue of educational research and publishing.
In 2017, I conducted my dissertation research on community college faculty attitudes toward open educational resources. I replicated the quantitative phase of my study at COD in 2019. As a compliment to this survey, a focus group study of faculty attitudes toward textbooks and the publishing marketplace was conducted by the College’s excellent Research and Analytics department. I am currently working on analyzing these data using a sequential exploratory mixed methods design.
If you have questions about anything you’ve found on this site or just want to talk about Open scholarship, I’d love to hear from you.
What I do for fun
- Co-Chair of the OER Steering Committee
- Training & consultation for classroom faculty
- Faculty representative on the bookstore advisory committee
- Educating and promoting open educational resources to students and advisors
- Promote development of state legislation addressing textbook affordability
- Lead a working group on providing access to local, state, and national legislation on open pedagogical practices and textbook publishing
- Serve on various national committees focused on open practices
Unless otherwise noted the material on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.